(Photo by Moses Robinson/Getty Images)

(Photo by Moses Robinson/Getty Images)

GFW star Matt Sydal recently spoke with Riju Dasgupta of Sportskeeda ahead of his big match against Lashley at Destination X, and below are some interview highlights:

What made you come to GFW in 2017?

Sydal: It was just the perfect opportunity to have a platform to tell people how I feel, what I think and a great platform to get my message across that we are all one, that you should trust yourself and question authority.

Being known primarily as a babyface in almost every promotion, do you also long for a heel turn in the future?

Sydal: You know I’d be all about that if there were guys who could take my place as a babyface but there is no one that can step into my shoes. There’s no one who can do what I do. So, there’s plenty of good heels in the business.

I don’t see guys who can get fans to rally behind them like I do. It’s hard. It’s the hardest job in the business and I’m doing it every single night. I don’t take shortcuts. I don’t take the easy way out. I’m not looking for the short answers. I’m looking for the big answers for the questions that are hard to ask. I’ve been in this game since 1999. I will be in this game for the years to come. So, I’ve got a lot of experience and I’m still learning lots.

Are you in touch with Kofi Kingston and have you seen The New Day gimmick that he’s playing right now?

Sydal: Yeah of course, and I mean Xavier Woods and Big E are guys I know also. I mean honestly, if New Day were to ever get a new member, if they were ever to be the Bullet Club and just started adding guys, I think I would be top of the list because there’s nothing I like to do more than to go out to the wrestling ring, have some fun, share what I enjoy with the world and put smiles on faces.

To work with Kofi again would be a treat because he has incredible in-ring work and what I said about being a babyface? That’s why Kofi Kingston is loved by so many fans because he is true to himself and genuine. That’s how he lives his life. I definitely want to be like that.

When you heard that Impact Wrestling would be known as GFW, what was the reaction backstage among the boys?

Sydal: I’m not about being an insider. I’m about being an outsider. I believe it was Shakespeare who said that a rose by any other name would be just as sweet.

A name is a placeholder for a feeling. I want to create a feeling and you can call it whatever you want, as long as you can identify it.

RAW Star Wants To Jump To SmackDown?, The Miz On Why He Chose Bo Dallas And Curtis Axel, LA Clippers - WrestlingInc.com

RAW Star Wants To Jump To SmackDown?, The Miz On Why He Chose Bo Dallas And Curtis Axel, LA Clippers read news >>

Sami Callihan On Why He Requested WWE Release, Impact Negative Media, Lucha Underground Returning - WrestlingInc.com

Sami Callihan On Why He Requested WWE Release, Impact Negative Media, Lucha Underground Returning read news >>

Rumor Killer On Wrestler Expected To Sign With WWE, Post-WrestleMania RAW & SD Presale, Byron Saxton - WrestlingInc.com

Rumor Killer On Wrestler Expected To Sign With WWE, Post-WrestleMania RAW & SD Presale, Byron Saxton read news >>

Triple H welcomes first Kuwaiti to sign WWE contract

Before his match with Roman Reigns Friday night, WWE COO Triple H took part in another historic moment in Abu Dhabi when he officially welcomed Nasser Alruwayeh, the first Kuwaiti man to sign a contr read news >>

Triple H Welcomes First Kuwaiti Male And First Arab Woman From Middle East To Sign With WWE (Photos) - WrestlingInc.com

Triple H Welcomes First Kuwaiti Male And First Arab Woman From Middle East To Sign With WWE (Photos) read news >>

Rob Van Dam On Why He Can't Wrestle For WWE, Austin Aries Signs With Defiant Wrestling, Luke Gallows - WrestlingInc.com

Rob Van Dam On Why He Can't Wrestle For WWE, Austin Aries Signs With Defiant Wrestling, Luke Gallows read news >>

Terry Funk On Why He Was Upset With Ric Flair 'I Quit' Match, Who Should Be In The WWE Hall Of Fame - WrestlingInc.com

Terry Funk On Why He Was Upset With Ric Flair "I Quit" Match, Who Should Be In The WWE Hall Of Fame read news >>

Bully Ray On Why He Doesn't Care If The Dudley Boyz Are Inducted Into The WWE Hall Of Fame - WrestlingInc.com

Bully Ray On Why He Doesn't Care If The Dudley Boyz Are Inducted Into The WWE Hall Of Fame read news >>

Matt Hardy Says ‘The Great War’ Has Begun In WWE & That He Needs To ‘Recruit Loyal Soldiers’ To Join Him

Matt Hardy has posted the following on Twitter continuing to tease his “Broken” persona as well as teasing that he could be recruiting others to join him in his, “platoon”: The #GreatWar is merely be read news >>

Batista On Why He Was Upset With WWE Over WrestleMania 23 Match With The Undertaker - WrestlingInc.com

Batista On Why He Was Upset With WWE Over WrestleMania 23 Match With The Undertaker read news >>