(Photo by Moses Robinson/Getty Images)

(Photo by Moses Robinson/Getty Images)

GFW star Matt Sydal recently spoke with Riju Dasgupta of Sportskeeda ahead of his big match against Lashley at Destination X, and below are some interview highlights:

What made you come to GFW in 2017?

Sydal: It was just the perfect opportunity to have a platform to tell people how I feel, what I think and a great platform to get my message across that we are all one, that you should trust yourself and question authority.

Being known primarily as a babyface in almost every promotion, do you also long for a heel turn in the future?

Sydal: You know I’d be all about that if there were guys who could take my place as a babyface but there is no one that can step into my shoes. There’s no one who can do what I do. So, there’s plenty of good heels in the business.

I don’t see guys who can get fans to rally behind them like I do. It’s hard. It’s the hardest job in the business and I’m doing it every single night. I don’t take shortcuts. I don’t take the easy way out. I’m not looking for the short answers. I’m looking for the big answers for the questions that are hard to ask. I’ve been in this game since 1999. I will be in this game for the years to come. So, I’ve got a lot of experience and I’m still learning lots.

Are you in touch with Kofi Kingston and have you seen The New Day gimmick that he’s playing right now?

Sydal: Yeah of course, and I mean Xavier Woods and Big E are guys I know also. I mean honestly, if New Day were to ever get a new member, if they were ever to be the Bullet Club and just started adding guys, I think I would be top of the list because there’s nothing I like to do more than to go out to the wrestling ring, have some fun, share what I enjoy with the world and put smiles on faces.

To work with Kofi again would be a treat because he has incredible in-ring work and what I said about being a babyface? That’s why Kofi Kingston is loved by so many fans because he is true to himself and genuine. That’s how he lives his life. I definitely want to be like that.

When you heard that Impact Wrestling would be known as GFW, what was the reaction backstage among the boys?

Sydal: I’m not about being an insider. I’m about being an outsider. I believe it was Shakespeare who said that a rose by any other name would be just as sweet.

A name is a placeholder for a feeling. I want to create a feeling and you can call it whatever you want, as long as you can identify it.

Jimmy Jacobs On If He Plans To Wrestle For Impact, Working On Matt Sydal's Heel Turn - WrestlingInc.com

Jimmy Jacobs On If He Plans To Wrestle For Impact, Working On Matt Sydal's Heel Turn read news >>

Kenny Omega On Why He Might Work Better In A WWE Environment - WrestlingInc.com

Kenny Omega On Why He Might Work Better In A WWE Environment read news >>

Sami Calihan On Why He's The Undertaker Of Impact Wrestling - WrestlingInc.com

Sami Calihan On Why He's The Undertaker Of Impact Wrestling read news >>

New Report On Why WWE Signed With FOX And Not ESPN, Why They Chose To Split Up RAW & Smackdown - Wrestlezone

A new report from Sports Business Daily is reporting WWE made the call to split RAW and Smackdown up on separate networks. According to the report, ESPN was in contention to acquire broadcast rights read news >>

WWE Extreme Rules Post Show Live Coverage: Carmella And Bobby Lashley To Join The Show - WrestlingInc.com

• a day ago

WWE Extreme Rules Post Show Live Coverage: Carmella And Bobby Lashley To Join The Show read news >>

Bobby Lashley On Why He Is A Different Breed, The Bella Army Photo Shoot (Video) - Wrestlezone

• 49 minutes ago

Bobby Lashley On Why He Is A Different Breed WWE’s YouTube channel posted the following backstage interview with Bobby Lashley after RAW: After earning a match against Roman Reigns for the right to c read news >>

Jim Cornette On Why He Can't Watch Modern Wrestling - WrestlingInc.com

Jim Cornette On Why He Can't Watch Modern Wrestling read news >>

Further Signs Indicate That Daniel Bryan Could Re-Sign With WWE - Wrestlezone

Daniel Bryan has revealed in previous interviews that his current WWE contract expires on September 1 of this year and according to Mike Johnson of PWInsider, there are some early signs that point to read news >>

Daniel Bryan Says There Is A 'Good Chance' He'll Re-Sign With WWE - WrestlingInc.com

Daniel Bryan Says There Is A "Good Chance" He'll Re-Sign With WWE read news >>

Seth Rollins To Join Some Big Names In History If He Regains The Intercontinental Title Tonight - Wrestlezone

WWE shared the following set of statistics on their Instagram in light of Seth Rollins invoking his rematch clause against Dolph Ziggler tonight on Raw for the Intercontinental Championship. He’ll be read news >>